In 1881, the area now known as “Falcon” was crossed by the railroads: first the Denver and New Orleans on a rail bed parallel to today’s Eastonville Road, then the Chicago and Rock Island on a rail bed parallel to today’s U.S. Highway 24. The lines’ intersection remains an important center of the Falcon area today.
On September 20, 1888, the first announcement of “Falcon, Colorado” was advertised in the Colorado Springs Gazette. The Falcon Land and Town Company, associated with the Chicago Rock Island Railroad, were selling lots to individuals. By 1896, there were two hotels, a newspaper, six saloons, a pool hall, stockyards, two train depots, two general stores, a blacksmith shop and a school.
With the rapid growth, suburban amenities began appearing in Falcon. Safeway opened a grocery store in 2000. The county approved a new Wal-Mart store in 2005 with minimal opposition. As that new retail presence was preparing to open, residents voted in May 2007 on whether to incorporate as a town. The proposal was defeated, with 78% of the vote against incorporation. The next major retail chain slated to set up shop in Falcon was Lowe’s, which had agreed to procure the current site of Fire Station #1 of the Falcon Fire Protection District. Lowe’s would have built a replacement station at Golden Sage and Woodmen, but in September 2008, that deal fell through and Lowe’s did not complete the transaction.